Why do our customers book this tour?
- The tour is only in English making it easier for you to follow the whole story.
- If you don’t have a whole day to visit Montserrat this is your tour: you can visit Barcelona in the morning and see Montserrat in the afternoon
- Afternoon is also best because there are less people in Montserrat than in the morning
- Montserrat – serrated mountain
- Spectacular views
- La Moreneta – Black Madonna
- Picturesque drive up to Montserrat (about an hour from Barcelona)
- Roomy and air conditioned bus with big windows
- About an hour free time to roam on your own
What’s not included
- Funicular, track railway or cable car.
- The Boys’ Choir.
- Food and drinks.
- This tour involves some walking so wear comfortable shoes.
- Dress a bit warmer for Montserrat, it is colder than the city.
- Silence must be kept inside the church so the guide will give all the explanations outside.
- This is not a wheelchair accessible tour.
What will I see?
Montserrat is a massive rock over 4000 feet high, visible for miles, with weird shapes and rounded peaks that jut into the sky; there are paths, stairs, caves, chapels and hermitages scattered over the mountain, extraordinary landscapes and wonderful views. No wonder the whole mountain is also a Natural Park
The Monastery & Black Madonna
The 1000 year old Benedictine monastery is perched half way up the mountain and sheltered by its peaks. There is a basilica with the Chapel of Our Lady of Montserrat known as La Moreneta, the patron saint of Catalonia, and a presence strongly felt and revered. The community of monks also runs a boys’ school devoted to the study of music.
The Sanctuary of Montserrat
Surrounding the Monastery there are plenty of things to do, here are some top suggestions:
- Best place for pictures, with some outstanding views of both Montserrat and the surrounding plains
- Market stalls selling local goods like honey and Mató (fresh cheese)
- The Museum of Montserrat has an extensive collection with paintings by Dalí, Picasso, El Greco and even treasures from ancient Egypt!
- Restaurants and shops for anyone looking for souvenirs
- Funicular railway to Sant Joan chapel
You will start with a picturesque drive up the mountain. Perched half way up you will see the nearly 1000 year old monastery. There is a short walk to get there, best moment to enjoy the magnificent views and have a taste of artisan cheese and honey that you will find in the stalls along the way.
You will have about 2 hours in the Sanctuary of Montserrat, combining an orientation tour with about one hour free time to see the black Madonna and the basilica, the museum, restaurants and shops.
Why 3 pm?
The tour is in the afternoon, as there are less people than in the morning. You will also make the most of your day as you can spend the morning visiting Barcelona.
- Departure point in Plaça Catalunya, in front of Hotel Olivia Plaza
- Picturesque drive to Montserrat
- Parc Natural de Montserrat
- Sanctuary: Monastery, Basilica, Chapel of the Virgin
- Around one hour free time
- Return to Barcelona in Plaça Catalunya
Will I have free time?
Yes. There is one hour drive to Montserrat, plenty of time to discover all about the mountain. You will get an orientation tour on arrival and then you will have some free time to wonder around.
Discover Barcelona by the hand of a friendly and knowledgeable guide.
Enjoy the peace of mind of being driven by a professional driver, who will take care of your safety and will adapt the pace of the tour so you have time to look out and take pictures.
Discover the city from a roomy and air conditioned bus with big windows – great for pictures!
- This is a new bus. It is comfortable and also has a low emissions engine. This means we help reduce the air pollution in Barcelona and reduce the CO2 climate change emissions.
How large is the group?
The size of the coach, up to 45 persons
- Secure and easy booking
- Instant confirmation
- All departures are guaranteed
You don’t need to print your voucher.
The tour will start from Plaça Catalunya, in front of Deutsche Bank and Hotel Olivia Plaza. Please arrive 15 minutes before departure time. Look for the orange umbrellas!